The Station House History
Buxworth Base was set up by converting the old railway station (closed Sept 1958) in the village of Buxworth into a self contained Residential/ Activity Centre.
All through the station’s existence it has experienced a peculiar anomaly because further up the line, reconstructing the collapsed viaduct involved realigning the railway line a little way to the north. As a result the tracks have always run past the “wrong side” of the station building and the current approach road laid where the tracks were originally supposed to be.
Originally called Bugsworth Station after the village, the station was renamed June 1930, seven weeks after the village name was changed to Buxworth as a result of a campaign championed by the local vicar and headmaster in response to some residents voicing their dislike of the name Bugsworth.
The name change was not supported by all locals and no regard was paid to the ancient origins of the village name, which can be traced back to Norman times. However, in 1999 the local High Peak Borough Council balloted the 600 members of the local population who voted 233 to 139 to keep the name as Buxworth even though the village is still generally still referred to as ‘Buggy’ today.
Currently owned in trust by the former Burnage High School Parents’ Society (which is a Registered Charity-no. 506770), and the Burnage Academy For Boys Parents Teachers Association, the centre has been available for let as self catering accommodation to schools, youth organisations, and other corporate bodies since Summer 2008.
Following a major refurbishment in 2011, all facilities are clean, comfortable and provide an excellent base in an interesting building for all types of nearby team building and outdoor activities including walking, canoeing, orienteering, pot holing, rock climbing (see our ‘Nearby Activities’ page for more details and links to local companies).Read More